Selangor, 28 July 2020 – Malaysian Bioeconomy Development Corporation Sdn Bhd (Bioeconomy Corporation) has signed a letter of intent (LOI) with the Faculty of Pharmacy, University Teknologi MARA (UiTM) to mobilise and develop programmes related to careers and skill development in the biotechnology and bio-based sectors, including the agriculture and food industries. Through this LOI, both parties will:
· conduct academic and professional training programmes in related fields;
· conduct promotional activities for Government initiatives/programmes in related fields;
· communicate and collaborate in the commercialisation of scientific research; and
· collaborate in graduate marketability programmes.
The programmes conducted by Bioeconomy Corporation that are related to careers and skill development include:
· the National Economic Recovery Plan (PENJANA) initiative, whereby Bioeconomy Corporation has been appointed as the implementing agency by the Agricultural Skills Training Division (BLKP) under the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Industries (MAFI); and
· Recognition of Prior Achievement (PPT) – Malaysian Skills Certificate (SKM) (PPT-SKM) by the Department of Skills Development (JPK) under the Ministry of Human Resources (KSM).
Through the JPK and PENJANA programmes, UiTM’s Faculty of Pharmacy will work with Bioeconomy Corporation to:
· bring in graduates and alumni to participate in the JPK and PENJANA programmes
· assist in promoting the JPK and PENJANA programmes to relevant networks
· conduct technical trainings for participants before they go for job training/placement with industry players
Acting Chief Executive Officer of Bioeconomy Corporation, En. Mohd Khairul Fidzal Abdul Razak said: “This collaboration can enhance and rebrand the skills of the workforce in Malaysia – especially in the bio-based and biotechnology sectors – to improve the income, living standards and well-being of the people, in line with the Government’s vision to upgrade Malaysia as an advanced nation. This in turn can help the Government to improve the economy and reduce the country’s unemployment rate of 5.3 percent as of May 2020. ”
The LOI was signed by En. Mohd Khairul Fidzal Abdul Razak and the Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy UiTM, Associate Professor Dr. Shariza Sahudin. The signing was witnessed by the senior management representatives of JPK and Bioeconomy Corporation.
In addition, Bioeconomy Corporation together with UiTM’s Faculty of Pharmacy will conduct a PPT-SKM briefing session on 11 August 2020 at Hotel Concorde Shah Alam to promote the program to UiTM professionals, technicians and support staff. SKM is a nationally and internationally recognised official certificate issued by the Malaysian government to recognise professional careers as well as certify individuals with expertise in a particular field. Registration for this free briefing session is still open and can be done through https://form.jotform.com/BiotechCorp/PPT. For more information, visit https://bioeconomycorporation.my/program-pengiktirafan-pencapaian-terdahulu-ppt/.
Bioeconomy Corporation has been appointed as the Industry Lead Body by KSM for the bio-based and biotechnology sector since 2012 to develop knowledgeable and competitive local human resources (K-Workers). As the Industry Lead Body, Bioeconomy Corporation undertakes various initiatives related to human resource development, recognition and accreditation in the bio-based and biotechnology sectors, including those related to agriculture and the food industries.